If you’ve never heard of Johnny Marzetti’s Casserole, you’re in for a treat. This light and incredibly flavorful ground beef stew is a traditional dish from Ohio, where it is popular for parties, potlucks and other events because of its incredible flavor and ability to feed large groups. Filled with beef, cheese, vegetables and a delicious tomato sauce over pasta, the Johnny Marzetti is a delicious and comforting meal that is very easy to prepare. You can bake it in the oven or use a slow cooker. Whichever method you prefer, you will end up with an incredibly tasty dish that is sure to delight the crowd.
What is Johnny Marzetti?
Johnny Marzetti is a classic pasta dish from the Midwest, made with pasta, ground beef, cheese, tomato sauce and a variety of fresh vegetables. Originating in Columbus, Ohio, the original version is a popular comfort food, similar to American goulash.
Tips for making the best casserole with ground beef
– Do not overcook the pasta. You want it to be al dente.
– Sweet Italian sausage is used in most of Johnny Marzetti’s recipes. If you’re a fan of spice, opt for spicy bits.
– Although ground beef plays the lead role in Johnny Marzetti’s classic stew, you can substitute it for pork or make a mixture of the two meats.
– Add a little pecorino or parmesan cheese to your Johnny Marzetti casserole for a more complex cheese flavor.
What to serve with a light pot of ground beef
This comforting dish goes well with a variety of side dishes. Light salads, sandwiches, steamed seasonal vegetables and garlic bread are all phenomenal with a generous helping of ground beef stew.
How to make Johnny Marzetti’s stew
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking dish and set aside. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package al dente and drain. Pour cold water over the pasta, drain again and set aside.
In a large skillet, cook the minced meat and sausage over medium-high heat until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the excess fat.
Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and oregano.
Add Worcestershire sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes and garlic salt. Saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir well.
Put the pasta in the oven dish.
Place the mozzarella and provolone in a single layer on top of the pasta.
Add the tomato sauce to the beef.
Cover part of the casserole.
Wrap the baking dish in foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove the foil and place a layer of cheddar cheese on top of the casserole.
Cover and bake 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
– Grind the cheese yourself to obtain a more even melting.
– Use a 9 x 13 inch baking dish for the pan.
– The remains of Johnny Marzetti’s casserole in the refrigerator. Enjoy it for 4-5 days. You can freeze this beef stew, but remember that pasta does not freeze well. If you want to make it ahead of time, prepare the sauce and freeze it once it has cooled. When you are ready to cook, take the thawed meat sauce, heat it up, prepare the pasta and follow the recipe as described above.
frequently asked questions
What can I do with 5 pounds of ground beef?
Eat less and be healthy. – Comment.
What to do with beef
Cooking ground beef
How long does ground beef keep in the refrigerator?
‘ Food safety ‘ Cold feet…
old fashioned hamburger casseroleground beef dishes listsuper easy ground beef recipesmexican ground beef casserolebest hamburger casserole recipestasty ground beef recipes,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,Meatloaf,Stuffed pepper soup,Taco soup,beef empanadas,See more,old fashioned hamburger casserole,easy ground beef casserole recipes with few ingredients,ground beef dishes list,super easy ground beef recipes,easy ground beef recipes with few ingredients,mexican ground beef casserole,best hamburger casserole recipes,tasty ground beef recipes