Easily prepare sushi rice in the Instant Pot, with no service and in less than 30 minutes! This is the perfect sticky rice for making sushi rolls at home.
Although sushi is not vegetarian, restaurants serving it nowadays offer many vegetarian options.
There are all kinds of sandwiches with avocado and cucumber, and we really like them. One of my favorites was a mango glaze I ate at a restaurant in Las Vegas – it was so good, I’m going to have to recreate it in my kitchen soon.
Ever since I discovered how easy it is to make sushi rice with the Instant Pot, I’ve been making a lot of sushi at home.
The Instant Pot makes the whole process so easy. Once the rice is done, everything else goes very quickly.
Sushi rice is a short-grain white rice from Japan that is used specifically for making sushi. It is seasoned with vinegar, sugar and salt. Rice has a sticky texture, which is why it sticks together so well in sushi rolls.
There are different types of short grain rice on the market that can be used to make sushi.
I used premium Nishiki rice, which I found at a local Asian store. Tamanishik rice and Calrose rice are also good choices. If you don’t have an Asian grocery store near you, you can also find them online.
The recipe requires only 4 ingredients (except water)!
- Sushi rice: As mentioned earlier, sushi rice requires a specific type of short-grain rice. Basmati or jasmine rice does not work here. So don’t forget to buy special rice.
- Vinegar: I used rice vinegar here and that’s what I recommend. You can also find sushi vinegar in Asian stores that has already been seasoned with salt and sugar. However, I recommend using plain rice vinegar and then adding salt and sugar to taste.
- Sugar and salt: and of course the rice is seasoned with a little salt and sugar, in addition to the vinegar.
1 – Wash the rice under running water.
2- Continue rinsing and drain until the water is clear, i.e. after 7 to 8 rinses.
3… Then put the washed rice in a colander. Let it stand for a few minutes until the water has drained from the strainer. The rice should no longer be soft at this stage.
4- Add the rice to the pot with 1 cup of water. Close the lid and press the manual key or the cooking key. Boil for 5 minutes under high pressure with the pressure valve in the closed position. Release the pressure naturally.
5- While the rice is cooking, add the vinegar, salt and sugar to the pan and put it on low heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and everything is well mixed, no need to boil the mixture. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool.
6- After the pressure is naturally released, open the lid and pour the rice into the glass bowl.
7- Add the vinegar-sugar-salt mixture to the rice.
8- Stir slowly with a wooden spatula until everything is well mixed. Then let the rice cool to room temperature before using it for the sushi rolls. You can even put it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to speed up the cooling if you want.
Once you’ve cooked the rice, use it to make these vegan sushi rolls!
- Be sure to use short grain sushi rice for this recipe. Basmati or jasmine rice is not suitable.
- Don’t skip the rice rinse. Rinse until water runs clear (about 7-8 times) and drain in a colander. Let it sit in the colander for a few minutes until the water stops running, it should be dry.
- You can increase the amount of vinegar to your taste. Some people add a lot of vinegar to their sushi rice, so adjust accordingly.
- Add the vinegar-salt-sugar mixture to the hot rice, mixing well. When everything is mixed well, let it cool.
- Allow the rice to cool to room temperature before using it in the recipe.
- When mixing the vinegar with the rice, don’t stir too much, or the rice will be completely crushed.
Can I use basmati rice with jasmine?
No, you can’t use either one for this recipe. They don’t have a sticky texture so they don’t hold their shape when you try to make rolls out of them.
Can I omit the addition of vinegar?
It can’t be, without the vinegar, it would be plain rice. For sushi rolls, the rice must be seasoned.
Can I prepare the rice in advance?
It is best to prepare the rice fresh. I had leftovers that I kept in the fridge, and they didn’t have the same texture in the morning. It was too sticky. So I suggest you do it and use it immediately.
Any suggestions for the launch?
Of course, the most common way to enjoy rice is in sushi maki rolls.
What else can I do with the leftover sushi rice?
You can make onigiri out of it, Japanese rice balls, or you can make rice pudding out of it. You can also eat it very spicy.
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to write it down! You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram to see what’s new in my kitchen, and on YouTube to watch my latest videos.
Rice for sushi in a jar
Sushi rice is so easy to make in the Instant Pot in less than 30 minutes and without checking!
Cooking time 5 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Total time 25 minutes
Portions of 2
Calories 361 kcal
- Rinse the rice under running water. Continue rinsing and drain until the water is clear, i.e. after 7 to 8 rinses.
- Then put the washed rice in a colander. Let it stand for a few minutes until the water has drained from the strainer. The rice should no longer be soft at this stage.
- Then add the rice to the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water. Close the lid and press the manual key or the cooking key. Boil for 5 minutes under high pressure with the pressure valve in the closed position. Release the pressure naturally.
- While the rice is cooking, add the vinegar, salt and sugar to the pan and heat over low to medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and everything is well mixed, no need to boil the mixture. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool.
- After the pressure is naturally released, open the lid and pour the rice into the glass bowl. Add the vinegar-sugar-salt mixture to the rice.
- Stir slowly with a wooden spatula until well blended. Then let the rice cool to room temperature before using it for the sushi rolls. You can even put it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to speed up the cooling if you want.
- The amount of vinegar can be adjusted to taste. If you prefer a stronger vinegar flavor in your sushi rice, you can use an extra tablespoon or two.
Calories: 361kcalCarbohydrates: 80gProtein: 6gFat: 1gSaturated fat: 1gSodium: 594mgPotassium: 72mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gCalcium: 15mgSource: 1mg
frequently asked questions
How to make sushi rice with instant rice
Rice for Sushi
Can I cook sushi rice in a rice cooker?
how to make sushi rice…
Can I use instant rice in a pan?
instant pot riceinstant pot sushi rice kombuinstant pot short grain riceinstant pot sushi rice risottoinstant pot sushi rice redditinstant pot sushi rice high pressure,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,Botan Calrose Rice,Kokuho Calrose Rice Yellow,Hinode Rice,Diamond G Calrose Rice,See more,Uchibori Mino Premium…,Kikkoman Seasoned Rice Vine…,Marukan Unseason… Rice Vine…,Mizkan Rice Vinegar,Marukan Genuine Brewed Ri…,instant pot rice,instant pot sushi rice reddit,instant pot sushi rice high pressure,instant pot sushi rice no vinegar,instant pot sushi rice kombu,poke bowl rice instant pot,sushi rice in rice cooker,instant pot short grain rice