Catfish chillie soup is one of the most popular chillie soup in Nigeria, other varieties are common, but catfish chillie soup aka dot and kill is the second most graded after chillie soup, especially in bars/restaurants.
However, to keep this recipe simple, the fish must be thoroughly cleaned to remove mucus. I like to wash catfish with salt and then sprinkle them with hot water to keep them firm. The salt does not disappear to the taste of the lime or lemon when you use it.
Whichever method you choose, make sure the fish is clean. To flavor the chillie soup, I used Ehura, Oudu and Uzza. If you don’t have all three, the Ehura will do the work for you. Customize the Habanero/Rhodo according to your wishes. If you want your chillie soup to be a little red, sprinkle it with paprika powder. I roasted the ehura, removed the membranes and ground it in a dry mill.
You might want to try it;
Chicken and paprika soup, very expensive
Agushi Pepper Soup
Goat meat Chicken soup
(cut, gutted and cleaned)
Habanero/rodo (minced meat);
Set to your preference
Pumpkin Muscat seed (Ehuru)
(roasted and ground)
(rotary dryer); optional
Uda seed (opening and removal)
(rotary dryer); optional
- A handful of crushed fragrances/Uzi’s/Finirin/Wallets or your favourite herbs
- Aromatic powder/cubes
- Salt tastes like
- Cut the fish in steaks or cut it lightly, if you don’t want to cut it in steaks, remove the intestines, wash the fish generously with salt, pour hot water over it to rinse the salt, this will also maintain the elasticity of the fish.
- Season the fish to taste with powdered herbs / cubes, salt; do not forget to take the time with the salt. Normally I leave the fish in the fridge at night, but that’s not necessary at all.
- Place the fish in a large pan, add water, start with about 3-4 glasses (add more if necessary) and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Add the habanero (rhodo), onion, echura (dry mill in the mill), oudu (if you don’t have oudu and oudu you can only use echura) and cook until the fish is done, shake the pot, don’t use a spoon to stir so the fish doesn’t fall apart. If you have to use a spoon to be careful.
- If you want to blush a little, add a paprika powder (optional).
- Check the spices and adjust them if necessary. Add aromatic leaves or other herbs you use. Leave for about five minutes before serving. I like to make chili soup a few hours in advance. I just need to warm up and serve when we’re ready to eat.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the free Aliyahsrecipesandtips mailing list and receive notifications of new messages directly to your inbox.
If you try one of my recipes, you are welcome to evaluate it and leave your thoughts behind. I’ll also be happy to see what you find, report me on social networks at @aliyah_recipes #aliyahrecipes.
Follow me on social media:
Cooking recipes with Alia
catfish pepper soup with plantain,how to prepare catfish stew,how to wash catfish,list of pepper soup ingredients,catfish pepper soup sisi jemimah,pictures of catfish pepper soup,catfish pepper soup near me,ukodo – yam pepper soup,cat fish soup,how to wash catfish for pepper soup,how to make dry fish pepper soup,how to prepare chicken pepper soup,tilapia fish pepper soup,fish pepper white sauce recipe,how to prepare nigerian pepper soup,how to prepare dry fish pepper soup,how to prepare nigerian fish pepper soup,fish pepper sauce,soup with catfish,sisi jemimah chicken pepper soup,ingredient for pepper soup,dry fish pepper soup,how to make fish pepper soup with plantain,african fish soup,catfish pepper soup with yam,how to boil catfish,how to prepare catfish pepper soup with tomatoes,how to prepare catfish pepper soup with white rice,catfish pepper soup dooney's kitchen,how to make igbo catfish pepper soup