Moderately cheesy, delicious, creamy and oh so comforting, this is the best homemade macaroni and cheese recipe in the world. The beauty of this simple recipe is that it’s easy to make and incredibly flavorful thanks to a delicious blend of sharp cheddar and Gruyere cheese – something your friends and family are sure to love! The variations are endless, so you’ll never get bored. Baked macaroni with cheese is a classic comfort food that every cook should learn, and this best recipe is the perfect place to start.
What is the best cheese for macaroni and cheese?
The best cheeses to make homemade macaroni with cheese, according to your personal preference. However, you should choose varieties that melt well. Cheddar, Gruyère, Parmesan, goat cheese and fresh cheese are good options to sample.
Tips for making the best homemade macaroni and cheese
– Elbow pasta is the traditional choice for baked macaroni with cheese, but pasta in the shape of a mini dish is just as delicious and perfect for making a creamy cheese sauce.
– You can prepare the macaroni and cheese ahead of time. Following the recipe, let the macaroni and cheese cool completely, cover and refrigerate. Enjoy it for 2 days.
– If you don’t have half and half, cream works in this recipe too. The result is ultra-rich and creamy macaroni and cheese.
– Serve macaroni and cheese as a delicious side dish or main course. As a main food, it goes perfectly with green salads, roasted or steamed vegetables, or coleslaw. Served with macaroni and cheese on the side, it is excellent with barbecue.
Delicious baked Macaroni and Cheese variations to try
You can try a different mix of cheeses to create a new version of this classic recipe. Mozzarella, colby, gouda, goat cheese and parmesan are all excellent in this recipe. Don’t use drier cheeses like feta, as they won’t melt either.
Add slices of bacon, cooked sausage or pancetta for an even tastier homemade macaroni and cheese.
You can also add fresh vegetables, such as peas, broccoli florets or leeks.
Storage of home-made pasta and cheese residues
Wrap the leftovers in plastic wrap or put the macaroni and cheese in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. To reheat, add a dash of milk, cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes.
How do you make baked macaroni with cheese at home?
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Salt a large pan with water and bring to a boil. Cook the pasta al dente, drain and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Mix together and set aside 2 separate mounds of 1.5 cups each, leaving a third mound of about 3 cups.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually pour in the milk and stir until the mixture is smooth. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens and then remove the pan from the heat.
Add the cheese and whisper until it melts. The sauce should be smooth.
Spoon the pasta on top of the filling, drizzle with the cheese sauce and toss to combine. Place half of the pasta in a lightly greased baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 ½ cups reserved cheese and top with the rest of the noodles. Add the last 1/2 cup of cheese.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
– Grate the cheese yourself – not only does it taste better, it melts easier.
– For a crispier top, bake the macaroni and cheese at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven. Then bake it for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
frequently asked questions
What is the easiest food to prepare?
What is your favorite food?
Magazine’s Top 20 Foods…
What is comfort food number one?
Nearly 15 percent of the 252 adults surveyed by Harris named pizza as their most convenient food, twice as many as chocolate (7 percent) or ice cream (7 percent) and even more than macaroni and cheese (5 percent), French fries (4 percent), hamburgers (3 percent), steak (3 percent), or popcorn, pasta, or…
Feedback,quick and easy comfort food recipes,best comfort food recipes,american comfort food recipes,best comfort food snacks,ultimate comfort food recipes,examples of main dishes,Privacy settings,How Search works,Pizza,Kare‑kare,Poutine,Dumpling,Chili con carne,Chicken fried steak,See more,Chicken parmigiana,Penne alla vodka,Stew,Beef Stroganoff,Tetrazzini,Shrimp and grits,food recipes easy,food dishes